Monday, July 03, 2006

an inconvenient truth

I go days, weeks, months sometimes without writing.  I used to call it procrastinating.  If I squint, I convince myself that it is fomentation, a necessary respite. 

Am I retired?  From what?  I never had a career.  Now, I have the kind of job that people claim in their retirement, to augment their pensions.  If I don't have a pension, is this still a retirement job?  Or is it my job? 

Somebody asked me after AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH last night what I did here in Urbana.  I didn't know what to say.  This has been the pattern of my entire life. Someone else asked me if I was going to review the movie for the newspaper.  I love it when they say they read my reviews.  (Their concept of time must be even more askew than mine.)

Can I say I swing in a hammock in a downtown neighborhood in Urbana?  Is that a good answer?


No comments: