Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Don't cry for me, Cincinnati

New York Times

John Expires


"John From Cincinnati," the much-anticipated surfer drama and HBO's would-be successor to the critical and commercial success of "The Sopranos," was canceled yesterday, the day after its first-season finale, Reuters reported. The show, created by David Milch ("Deadwood") and the author Kem Nunn, never clicked with critics or viewers despite extensive marketing and the participation of actors like Rebecca De Mornay, Bruce Greenwood and Austin Nichols.


Lee watched the season (and, as it turns out, series) finale with me on Sunday.  I had to go over and physically close her jaw.  There has never been a program like John from Cincinnati in the history of television or the movies.  I guess Venice Beach retrograde LSD besotted hippies isn't enough of a niche market.  I'm going to tape all of the episodes from "HBO on Demand" in case they don't release it on DVD. 

No comments: