Wednesday, August 29, 2007

found my notes on Chelsea Girls




I was looking for one of my blank black notebooks to scribble down something in, I forget what, and found the notes I had written on seeing Andy Warhol's The Chelsea Girls. When the movie originally played in Chicago, I think it must have been 1969, I must have been in prison. It is hard to remember. All I know is, it took me 40 years to finally see this movie projected (and projected properly with random sound and two projectors at MOMA as well).

The inaccessibility of Andy Warhol movies -- the real Andy Warhol movies, not the commercial Paul Morrissey movies -- adds to their status as treasures. (Where can I find Tarzan and Jane Regained, Sort of? Another one I never saw. I do have fond memories of Lonesome Cowboys, which was shown in a Denver art house in the early 1970s. I took a friend who was aghast. "It's just a bunch of queers running around," I believe was his comment. I'll track down anything with Taylor Mead in it. In Lonesome Cowboys, he plays the nurse and runs around shrieking like a girl. What a brave actor!)

My notes from Chelsea Girls:

Comic figures but

Nico and son and Eric Emerson (from Heat, the masturbation retard)
Kitchen trims bangs for half anhour

Ingrid screeching
Woman injuects into girl 2x then herself
Bridget Polk
Sound varies

Pour water on boy's mouth (Nico's son later becomes junkie? is this the boy?)

Men in Bed, underwear, Eurotrash, pull down, party, roll around, keep pulling his pants, pours water on him.

Zooms in andout of focus
Motion without meaning (I start hallucinating between the two screen images, what is foreground and what is relief, what is the image)
Maria Menken and Mary Waranov, grouchy and scary.
(Color)
Parents?

Lot of Waranov with other women

Young man from Heat (EE) talking about hustling? Love? Leaves hanging on idea of love.

Junkie, Pope of the Village, injects dope
Ingrid "confesses"
Talks to "Paul" behind camera?
Other women
Is literate and funny and extreme
Gets violent with woman, hits her for offense (taste?)
Hard to understand why, but it is jarring

Nico V.U. album cover colors projected on her face
Trying to impose meaning on it all, both random and non-random

Music plays out for full 12 minutes

No comments: