Sunday, June 29, 2008

29 junio 2008: Revenge Against The Bourgeoisie

There, I think I improved this poem.

Yes, the golf and the empathy references are directed at the sons of Ottos. I watched Michael Haneke's Funny Games yesterday (the English-language remake with Naomi Watts in her scanties). Yes, it is a blistering film of torture of the gated-community folks, who are entirely sympathetic and with whom the audience is supposed to sympathize. No, none of you could sit through this movie. In Europe, they call this art. In America, they probably call it terrorism. The poem is filtered through my viewing of Funny Games. I have all of Michael Haneke's films. No, I am not on the list. I'm like the OTHER characters in Funny Games, those who don't belong but who intrude in violent ways.


Oh, the years I spent
Making other people jealous

Now they travel to Kuwait
Trying to get even

I was naive
Broke

I appreciated, my only talent
They accumulated

Now, they don't know
What to name their stuff

Or what it tastes like
Anymore

Sighs
All around

Brain-dinged
On the golf course

Empathy leaks
Staunched by cash

They say,
"I want to help"

But that's the thing
They can't buy

They can't help
Because

They're
The problem

No comments: