Thursday, June 08, 2006

L'Enfant

In the scene in the water, when Bruno saves the his freezing 14-year-old accomplice, there are no edits. It's a continuous take that adds just the amount of authenticity and integrity that one would expect.

"L'Enfant" is of a piece with the other Dardenne movies, in particular a companion to "The Son." The Christian iconography in both films is unmistakeable, although I admit I missed the reference to a young couple and their newborn not having a place to stay for the night... The carpenter and his apprentice in "The Son" was more clearly obvious, although these movies do not evoke symbolism or sermons. They are thoroughly natural, like wood that has been carefully sanded with the grain.

I had avoided reading any reviews until I could see the film, despite the fact that it won last years (2005) Palme D'Or at Cannes. The year passed quickly and the film was worth the wait. From international headlines to a tiny art theatre screening room matinee with only four patrons, how soon the world forgets.

There's even a car and scooter chase. The mean streets are not scenic. But this film is for the ages as much as any Bresson.

Ed and I watched the movie the day after we saw "The Omen." "L'Enfant" was much more frightening, unnerving, unpredictable, and certainly more astute about the question of evil.

You want to contemplate evil in the world? The Omen is a cartoon, a remake of a cartoon at that. I still remembered lines from the first version. There is no way I'd have gone if it weren't that Ed is a horror movie fan and it was free popcorn night. I went to please him and I was glad when it was over and people had stopped talking on their cell phones and I was still licking the salt and caramel flavor from the bottom of my popcorn bucket.

No comments: