Saturday, June 24, 2006

Re: I hate my therapist

Mark,

I am in the backyard in the hammock, my summer refuge.  There's really no need to go camping or travel.  Apart from being expensive and uncomfortable, travel takes so much time -- to plan, to pack, to prepare, and to recover once you return.  I've traveled plenty and when all is said and done, I almost think it is the liberation of being immersed in a different language and anonymity that are the biggest benefits.

That is why I've taken to submerging myself in Spanish in as many ways as possible.  Some days I try to do everything in Spanish or French. 

With this letter, I've also decided to send everything I write to one of my blogs.  Maybe my personality will shape up that way into something more consistent.  Someone, maybe Mark Twain -- I should look it up in Bartlett's or Google -- said "The secret is to treat everyone the same way."  I think I may have different ways of writing, at least, to different people.  If all my letters end up in the same place on my blog, maybe it will help define myself, although that would be a first.

I also wish I could include your letter on the blog, since it was so interesting.  But you might object, even though the government and who knows who else has access to any email we send, if they're really interested.

If you recognize your delusions as such, are they really delusions?  Tell your psychiatrist I used to have a license plate that read HLOOSN 8 (hallucinate).  You might give him fashion advice, too.

I have no experience with Lexapro, but it sounds good to me.  With Prozac, you feel nothing.  Nothing.  I truly think I could and should stop taking it, but people tell me I am cranky when I have stopped.  (I think probably I'm just less compliant, less willing to do the things they want me to do.)

Maybe I'll look into Lexapro, but I enjoy sleeping.  That's one thing about Prozac.  When you start at least, you dream in new ways. 

I'd better end before the computer battery runs down.  I've got the new Andrew Holleran novel, Grief, here to read.  It's short.  I like short books.  I read three plays recently -- The History Boys, Well, and Shining City -- and they were all wonderful.  And short.

If you are interested in reading my book about Guatemala, let me know.  I'd be interested in your opinion of it, although I think I need to revise it into past tense instead of present tense.  Two literary agents told me that might make it more effective.

Hope you are enjoying the weekend.  The weather here is ideal for a brief moment.  Hammock time.

Greg

No comments: