Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Naked Potter

http://theblemish.com/2007/01/daniel-radcliffe-loves-horses/
A little back story perhaps.  I think Equus was the first play I ever saw on Broadway. The run had been on for some time and the psychiatrist role was played at that time by Tony Perkins.  I bought one of the half-price tickets at the TKTS booth and found out upon arriving that the seat was actually on the stage itself. (They're using the same staging device in London, and those tickets are going to be the hardest to get, I'd imagine.  Also, Richard Griffiths is playing the psychiatrist.  He's the portly -- ok, fat -- man who won such acclaim in The History Boys in the role of the overaffectionate teacher. Jotto ran screaming at the thought.) Equus is such a good play; Mennonite boys probably can relate to it, the complications of coming to terms with sexuality, the repressed sexuality of the father, etc. At the time, it was a a more vivid representation of sexuality than anything I'd seen.  And when the red-haired girl came on stage topless, right in front of my face more or less, well...  I didn't know such things were done.  I was completely unprepared.  I am writing up something about the films of 2006 that I'm going to post on ebertfest.blogspot.com in the next day or so.  I've been relishing all the Mexican movies, on the screen and on DVD.  Saw an Arturo Ripstein movie from 2006 today, Perdicion de los Hombres, that knocked it out of the park, IMHO, to categorize a movie that is nominally about baseball.  And he's virtually unknown in the U.S., although he worked with Buñuel.  Cuaron (Children of Men -- best Mexican movie out now, although Pan's Labyrinth is also good) acknowledges his debt to Ripstein.  Sorry to bore you with this.  Just thinking aloud.  Carry on.

No comments: