Thursday, October 18, 2007

John Landis

I'm bored with this. And there are still so many people yet to name. That's the way things are for me, often. I like short term projects. I like to do something, see it through, and appreciate the result, and then -- like Tibetan sand mandalas -- destroy them.

Or, stuff them in a drawer for rediscovery years later.

I haven't made a YouTube movie in months. And I have a lot of subscribers. They'll just have to wait.

John Landis was another elevator encounter. We were getting in at the same time. It was at Cannes. He was with someone and I was with someone.

I asked him, "Are you John Landis?" because I wanted to explain to him how I had worked on his movie, The Blues Brothers, in Chicago as a paid extra -- a Military Guardsman (among hundreds). They even insisted I get a military crewcut, in their effort to throw money out the window and make the most expensive movie they could. (My haircut would be hidden under a helmet, but that didn't matter.)

He just glared at me and said nothing. So, I never got to tell him what I wanted to say. Now, if I had it to do over again, I'd say, "And your movies suck, too, you has-been egomaniac."

No comments: