Friday, October 12, 2007

Laurie Metcalf

By no means have I exhausted this ongoing list of encounters with the famous.

Laurie Metcalf is a great actor. Most people know her from her role on the TV show Roseanne. In fact, when I ran into her in a theatre lobby, I am sure she thought I was just another idiot TV fan. I'm sure I behaved like one, since Ernie was with me - he was probably only about 13 at the time -- and I said to him, right in front of her, about her, "Do you know who this is?"

She smiled that kind of grimace she has anyway and I scrambled to clarify myself to her.

"You were wonderful in Balm in Gilead," I said, or something like that, hoping to have redeemed myself.

Her performance as a naive prostitute in that Lanford Wilson play off-Broadway was electrifying and at one point she gave a monologue that literally stopped the show. There was a 15-minute standing ovation IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOW! It was heart-stopping.

So I respect and admire Laurie Metcalf and I'm glad I met her, even though she probably didn't return the favor.

Next up: Lanford Wilson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you saw that performance???!!?? I know gary saw it too and he was just as taken with her... I saw it done recently in Chicago and that monologue was decent, but not nearly show-stopping. The production got a lot of attention because of the audacity of the company producing it. as in, 'the steppenwolf/metcalf' production STILL lives vividly and indelibly in our minds...and you have the guts to try and do it, huh?

it was a very, very bad production.