Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Making of Americans

"I write for myself and strangers. No one who knows me can like it.
At least they mostly do not like it that everyone is of a kind of men
and women and I see it. I love it and I write it.'

"I want readers so strangers must do it. Mostly no one knowing me can
like it that I love it that every one is a kind of men and women, that
always I am looking and comparing and classifying of them, always I am
seeing their repeating. Always more and more I love repeating, it may
be irritating to hear from them but always more and more I love it of
them."

That, of course, is Gertrude Stein.

I can read and have read Gertrude Stein, and William Burroughs, and
Herman Melville, and I have relished such moments with a kind of
obsession.

I prefer the two screens simultaneously of Chelsea Girls to virtually
any single-image narrative movie out of Hollywood.

To think one needs to (or even can) understand is antithetical to
pleasure.

What could be more boring than understanding something at first glance?

No comments: