Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sigourney Weaver

Most of my problem in encountering famous people is my reluctance to appear star struck in front of people who actually are stars and are likely to be bored or repulsed by yet another person gawking or hyperventilating in their presence.  If I have no reason to speak to them other than to brush up against fame, then I resist until the moment -- which often does not come in time -- when I have a legitimate reason to speak to them.

Such was the case with Sigourney Weaver, who was in attendance at a late night press buffet in Louisville.  Weaver was attending because her husband, Jim Simpson, was directing a play at the Actor's Theatre Festival.  They were munching, talking, looking good but behaving like ordinary people at a party.

Weaver has long been associated with playwright Christopher Durang, who may also have been at the festival.  I can't recall because I was too taken with Weaver, I guess.  I tried to think of something to say about Durang to her, but I would have had to interrupt her and her friends, and I wasn't about to butt in to say, "Excuse me, but you are fabulous and tall and wow!"

So I said nothing and munched on the free crab and lobster and stuffed mushrooms and nursed my complimentary Kentucky whisky.  Later, I told people I had met Sigourney Weaver, referring to her as "Siggy." So shoot me.

No comments: