Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Rudy Giuliani, with an asterisk

This is not exactly true. I never met Giuliani. One year, pre-9/11, during my long quest to eat at as many four-star restaurants in Manhattan as I could over a period of years, I splurged at Jean-Georges, just off Central Park, by taking Bill and Mark to lunch. We were enjoying our meal when the restaurant seemed to be inundated with men wearing sunglasses and carrying walkie-talkies. We saw them outside walking around and inside as well.

"What's going on?" I asked a waiter.

"The mayor is having lunch here today," he said.

So I never really met Giuliani, but I definitely felt the presence of his security force. I will say this. I wouldn't like having to live under such circumstances. Very uncomfortable. Having such abundance and fame does not give one a sense of freedom.

I wonder if we had the same entree and extras and if he enjoyed them as much as I did. Somehow, I doubt it, although he may have had more expensive wine.

No comments: