Sunday, September 30, 2007

Susan Sontag

I was in awe of "Against Interpretation" and even commissioned an experimental filmmaker to make an impressionistic movie about it. I ran into Sontag a couple of times. Once was on the steps of the Palais des Festivals at Cannes where she was holding court with anyone within earshot. She always seemed to be holding court, making herself the center of attention.

Years later, she came to the Louisville festival and after a play based on a historical event, using dialogue taken from the historical record, she stood up and addressed the audience, praising this "new form" of play. (I could think of other similar plays, but she was the famous Susan Sontag and no one dared contradict her.)

I just realized how many of the people I'm naming have since died. I still think Against Interpretation and other of her works are evidence of an elegant mind.

No comments: