Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Spalding Gray

Did a phone interview with him when he was in L.A., a time he later wrote about in one of his books or monologues. I had his home phone number and talking with him was the same as listening to one of his monologues. Years later, I ran into him on the street in New York. He was appearing in something on Broadway at the time, I forget what, but it wasn't one of his monologues. I had been drinking at Bill's and was going to Cabaret with someone and there was Spalding, walking down the street with a little pull cart, like old ladies or homeless people use. I couldn't think of anything but to tell him how much I liked his work. He thanked me in that New England accent, but he looked sad, bedraggled.

A few years later, he threw himself into the river as he'd always threatened to do.

No comments: